Are you considering getting a Bernedoodle? These fluffy and affectionate dogs are a mix between a Bernese Mountain Dog and a Poodle, and they are becoming increasingly popular as family pets. However, one question that many potential owners have is how much Bernedoodles shed.
Understanding Bernedoodle Coat Types
The first thing to know is that Bernedoodles can have different coat types, and this can affect how much they shed. There are three main coat types:
- Curly: This is the most hypoallergenic and non-shedding type of coat. Curly Bernedoodles have tight curls that don’t shed much, making them a good choice for people with allergies.
- Wavy: This is the most common type of coat for Bernedoodles. Wavy coats have loose curls that shed a little bit, but not excessively.
- Straight: This is the least common coat type for Bernedoodles. Straight coats don’t shed much, but they are also the least hypoallergenic.
Bernedoodle Shedding: What to Expect
Now that you know about the different coat types, let’s talk about shedding in general. While Bernedoodles are not heavy shedders like some other breeds, they do still shed. However, the amount of shedding can vary depending on the individual dog and their coat type.
If you have a curly Bernedoodle, you can expect very minimal shedding. However, if you have a wavy or straight coat Bernedoodle, you can expect some shedding, particularly during seasonal changes. During shedding season, you may need to brush your Bernedoodle more often to help remove loose fur.
Reducing Shedding in Bernedoodles
If you are concerned about shedding, there are a few things you can do to reduce it:
- Regular grooming: Brush your Bernedoodle’s coat regularly to remove loose fur and prevent mats and tangles. This can also help distribute the natural oils in their skin and coat, which can reduce shedding.
- Bathe your Bernedoodle: Regular baths can also help reduce shedding by removing loose fur and dead skin cells.
- Consider a professional groomer: A professional groomer can help keep your Bernedoodle’s coat in top condition, which can reduce shedding.
Final Thoughts on Bernedoodle Shedding
In conclusion, Bernedoodles do shed, but the amount can vary depending on the individual dog and their coat type. If you have allergies or are concerned about shedding, a curly Bernedoodle may be the best choice for you. However, with regular grooming and care, shedding in wavy or straight coat Bernedoodles can be reduced. No matter what coat type your Bernedoodle has, they are sure to bring love and joy into your home.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bernedoodle Shedding
1. Are Bernedoodles hypoallergenic?
Curly coat Bernedoodles are considered hypoallergenic because their tight curls don’t shed much, which reduces the amount of dander and other allergens in the air. However, wavy and straight coat Bernedoodles may still cause allergies in some people.
2. Do Bernedoodles shed a lot?
No, Bernedoodles do not shed as much as some other breeds, but they do shed a little bit. Curly coat Bernedoodles shed the least, while wavy and straight coat Bernedoodles may shed a bit more.
3. Can I prevent shedding in my Bernedoodle?
While you cannot prevent shedding entirely, you can reduce it by regularly grooming your Bernedoodle’s coat and bathing them to remove loose fur and dead skin cells. You can also consider a professional groomer to help keep their coat in top condition.
4. Is shedding worse during certain seasons?
Yes, shedding can be worse during seasonal changes, particularly in the spring and fall. During these times, you may need to brush your Bernedoodle more often to remove loose fur.
5. Can I still have a Bernedoodle if I have allergies?
Yes, you may be able to have a Bernedoodle even if you have allergies. However, you should choose a curly coat Bernedoodle, which sheds the least and is considered hypoallergenic. You should also spend time with a Bernedoodle before bringing them home to ensure that your allergies don’t act up.